We began working to support older people in Indonesia in 1996. We work at the national level, as well as in Jakarta, Yogyakarta and Aceh.
We support community-led older people’s organisations in greater Jakarta and advocate for national policy development for older men and women through our Affiliate, Yayasan (c) HelpAge International Emong Lansia.
Life story: Rusmini, 75
"My husband passed away a long time ago. He used to work at a factory. I have two children, a son and a daughter who are 45 and 43. My son works at a factory nearby, my daughter works overseas.
"I live with my son, but he comes home very late in the evening. I am alone during the day. I am very happy that Suci (a HelpAge volunteer) visits me regularly and helps me with household chores and chats with me.
"She also escorts me to the health centre and to attend spiritual and social activities. She checks my blood pressure, gives me a massage and once a year I get new clothes.
"My eyesight is not good anymore and I have difficulty walking. I feel now that I have another daughter, as Suci is always there for me when I need her."
Supporting older people in Indonesia
In the last year, we have supported older people in several areas:
Older people’s organisations:
- We have supported 31 local older people’s organisations in greater Jakarta and Aceh with health and social care services, as well as ensuring they have better access to local government assistance.
- We have advocated for older people’s rights and access to services through the Age Demands Action campaign and meeting with decision makers.
- We have successfully advocated for long-term care for older people to be included in the new National Strategy Plan on Health Care 2015-2019.
- We will strengthen older people’s organisations in greater Jakarta and carry out an assessment of organisations in Yogyakarta and Aceh Provinces.
- We will advocate for a law in all provinces on social welfare for all. Currently, only three provinces have such legislation.
Yayasan Telaga Amal
Age UK, European Union