HelpAge International’s goal is to improve the lives of older women and men in low- and middle-income countries, especially those in crisis-prone and insecure areas.
Our mission is to empower older people to lead dignified, active, and healthy lives.
Our strategy, outlined in Strategy 2030, positions us as a global convenor, supporter, and thought leader for a network of partner organisations committed to promoting the dignity, wellbeing, and voice of older people worldwide.
Some of the key areas of work that we focus on are:
- Responding to humanitarian crises: We respond to emergencies and crises around the world by providing essential aid and support to older people affected by conflict, disasters, and displacement.
- Improving income security: We work to ensure that older people have access to sustainable and adequate income, including through social protection programmes and livelihood support.
- Supporting healthy ageing: We work to improve the health and wellbeing of older people by providing healthcare, rehabilitation services, and support for those who are the furthest behind.
- Creating a society for all ages: We support older people to speak out, claim their rights and influence decisions that affect their lives.
- Acting on climate change: We recognise the impact that climate change has on older people and their communities, and the importance of addressing this issue in order to protect and improve their lives.
- Advancing gender equality: We campaign to ensure that older people of all genders enjoy the same rights, responsibilities and opportunities.
- Protecting the rights of older people: We advocate for the rights of older people and work to raise awareness about issues affecting them, such as age discrimination, elder abuse, and neglect.
- Challenging ageism: We challenge ageism so that older people are recognised as individuals and treated fairly and without discrimination.