Pakistan has the sixth largest population in the world, at 182.1 million. It is also one of only 15 countries to have an older population of over 10 million.
We work with our partners and older people in areas such as livelihoods, health and disaster risk reduction. We also support older people when disasters hit and in their calls to be included in development and humanitarian policies.
Life story: Ahmedan, 60
Ahmedan is widowed and has to look after six daughters and a son on her own. When the monsoon rains hit in 2014, they flooded her village and prevented her from working on the fields. Without the income, she was unable to provide for her family. As the days went by, they were getting hungrier and hungrier.
HelpAge came to Ahmedan’s village and identified that her family needed help. She received food, as well as other relief items, to last for three to six months and they changed her life.
"After losing everything I had no money to buy food for my children. Now with the help of HelpAge, we are no longer worried - this relief will give us time to get stable. I am happy and relieved," said Ahmedan.
Supporting older people in Pakistan
Over the last year we have supported older people in Pakistan in several areas:
- Our livelihoods programme and micro-credit initiatives have given 350 older men and women a community revolving fund and 359 older farmers training in diversifying their livelihoods.
- We have checked the eyes of 2,030 older men and women, with 584 getting glasses, 297 undergoing cataract surgery and 1,837 were prescribed medicine.
- Legislation was passed for the first time to protect the rights of older people in Pakistan's third largest province Khyber Pakhtunkhwa after three years of campaigning by HelpAge.
- Older people's rights have been recognised in the human rights framework for Pakistan.
- We will continue relief and recovery work in the Khyber Paktunkhwa and Punjab regions.
- We will advocate for social protection and micro-credit institutions for older people.
- We will continue our advocacy for approval of older people's rights legislation in the provinces of Pakistan which do not yet have it.
- We will continue our community-based disaster risk management programmes.
- We will continue our advocacy for age-friendly health services.
Pakistan Medico International
Sindh Rural Support Organization, Jaag Welfare Movement, Awaz Foundation Pakistan Centre for Development Services, Pakistan National Centre on Ageing, Mojaz Foundation.