In Ghana, HelpAge International works in partnership with its affiliate, HelpAge Ghana. Together we share information and experience in order to carry out advocacy and project work.
Through local partners, HelpAge runs income-generating projects, provides training for older people and advocates and promotes better rights for older people.
Where we work in Ghana
View Ghana in a larger map
We work in Greater Accra, Central, Western, Ashanti, Volta and Eastern regions.
The difference we made in 2009-10
- In 2009, a delegation of older people met the Vice-President of Ghana as part of HelpAge International's Age Demands Action campaign, to present and discuss demands on national ageing policy, healthcare, pension and income security.
- We have worked in partnership with the government to review national ageing policy and help form an action plan for it to be carried out.
- We will take a fully active part in reviewing the 1992 Ghana Constitution and National Health Insurance Act so that it better meets the needs of older people.
- We will push for the draft National Ageing Policy to be submitted by the sector ministry and approved by the Cabinet.
- We will promote the rights of older people through an older citizens monitoring project, funded by Irish Aid, in 18 communities.
Zones in Accra, Age Concern Ghana, Compassion Africa Aged Foundation, SSNIT Pensioners Association
Irish Aid, HFC Bank (Gh) Limited, Accra Golden Lions Club Relish Company Limited, Osu - Accra, Mothers Union of Christ Anglican Church, Legon - Accra, Agriculture and Catering Clubs of Morning Star International School, Former Ambassadors Wives Association, Agricultural Development Bank Ladies Association