We've made strong progress in the past year.
Together with our partners, we're helping millions of older people lead more dignified, active, healthy and secure lives.
What we achieved in 2013-14
This year we have:
- reached 1.5 million of the world’s vulnerable older people and their families
- supported 3,000 older people’s associations with training, grants and agricultural inputs
- helped more than 200,000 people affected by Typhoon Haiyan
- coordinated three global Age Demands Action campaign events, with 228,000 activists taking part in 60 countries
- contributed to improved pension schemes in 14 countries, with 1.35 million more older people eligible.
- supported 250,000 older people in accessing health services including testing the eyes of 135,000 older people, resulting in 50,000 treatments or surgeries.
This year, our response to Typhoon Haiyan has made us all truly proud. Staff and older volunteers of COSE, our Filipino Affiliate, were quick to deliver food and shelter to those worst affected and sat with older people in hospitals to offer them comfort.
Our response was only made possible because members of the HelpAge network across the world came together to raise funds and show solidarity.
Global AgeWatch Index
We also launched the first global index to rank countries according to the social and economic wellbeing of their older populations.
The Global AgeWatch Index stimulated widespread public debate, new research studies, and the establishment of new forums to monitor progress and recommend ways forward.
Convention on older people's rights
The HelpAge network, now 111 members strong, has campaigned vigorously for several years for a UN convention on the rights of older people.
The past year saw concrete progress towards this goal, with the appointment of the first UN Independent Expert on the rights of older people.
Age Demands Action
At a local level, 228,000 activists in 60 countries took part in our Age Demands Action campaign through which older people voice their concerns to their governments.
In the past year, together with our partners, we delivered healthcare, income generation and emergency relief to 1.5 million of the poorest or most vulnerable older people and their families, and supported 3,000 older people’s associations.