After working in Colombia for nearly 30 years, we opened our HelpAge office in Bogotá in 2009.
We support older people affected by the ongoing internal armed conflict, as well as working in the areas of health, food security, legal advice, psychosocial support and shelter.
In the past year, we have helped more than 15,000 older people through our programmes across Colombia.
Life story: Nicolasa, 63
(c) Jonas Wresch/HelpAge International
Over the last year we have carried out work in several areas to support older people in Colombia.
- In Bogotá and Montes de María, we have provided mental health counseling to over 6,500 older people and their families as principal care providers.
- We have supported 860 indigenous Awá to claim their rights.
- We have contributed to research on healthy ageing, financial services for older people and older people as a labour force. This will feed in to future advocacy action.
- We have provided humanitarian assistance to over 6,000 older people, including emergency food and essential items, counselling, healthcare, food security projects and legal advice to those displaced so that they can access government support as victims of the conflict.
- We will provide humanitarian aid to older people displaced by conflict, including food security activities, psycho-social care and better access to drinking water.
- We will strengthen indigenous communities through supporting them in public participation and claiming their rights.
- We will continue to promote the Age Demand Action campaign and call for better healthcare, the end of elder abuse and the enforcement of of older people's rights.
Audio slideshow: 50 years of conflict
Provida Colombia, Fundación Centro de Estudios e Investigaciones del Trabajo (CESTRA)
Red Tiempos de Envejecimiento Activo y Digno, Fundación Red de Desarrollo y Paz de los Montes de Maria, Fundación Familiar Alzheimer Colombia (Afacol), Comitato Internazionale per lo sviluppo dei popoli, CorpoManigua, Unidad Indígena del Pueblo Awá, Fundación Saldarriaga Concha.
European Commission - Humanitarian Aid & Civil Protection (ECHO), European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights, Emergency Response Fund, Pfizer, Metlife, Age International.