We work with our two long-standing affiliates HelpAge India and GRAVIS to address the needs of a rapidly aging population.
HelpAge India has 33 offices throughout India and works on health, social protection, and disasters. They also advocate with national and local government to bring about policy change that is beneficial to the elderly.
GRAVIS is primarily concerned with the people of the Thar Desert in Rajasthan. They work with desert communities to develop long-term solutions to increasing desertification, natural degradation, and persistent drought.
How we helped in 2010-2011
- We worked with more than 8,000 older people and their associations to improve their access to financial and health services.
- 4,500 older people in the Thar Desert benefited from home care services provided by village health volunteers trained by GRAVIS.
- More than 10,000 older men and 19,000 older women received free healthcare through HelpAge India's mobile medical units.
How we helped in recent years
- Thanks to our efforts, 5,000 older people now have more income and can rely on sufficient, affordable sources of food.
- Over 5,000 older people regained their sight as a result of cataract surgery.
- We've trained over 1,300 healthcare workers to provide older people with better care at home.
- By cleaning three village ponds, over 4,000 people now have access to clean water.
We are aiming to continue our existing program of work including:
- A continuation of our existing work with more than 12,000 older people in accessing their rights to secure incomes and health services.
- A continuation of our support to HelpAge India's mobile medical units supporting round 30,000 older people.
- An additional 6,000 older people receiving cataract operations.
- An additional 1,500 older people in the Thar desert will receive help with their agriculture and livestock activities.