Job Title: Research Assistant
Contract: One year with possibility of extension up to 3 years
Start date: January 2019
Hours: 40 hours a week
Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Pay: 1500 USD (Stipend 1000 + Housing allowance 500)
Department: Public Health
Responsible to: Team Leader
HelpAge International is the secretariat to the HelpAge Global Network, which brings together a wide range of organisations and individuals working to promote the rights and meet the needs of older women and men, nationally and/or internationally. At the core of this network are the civil society members, a group of civil society organisations working with older people around the world. These organisations share a vision of a world in which all older people are valued, and lead dignified, healthy and secure lives.
We are looking for an enthusiastic intern to join our team to help us to produce quality research documentation and publications.
Currently HelpAge International Myanmar implementing three public health projects (1) Strengthening public health capacity to respond to Myanmar’s disease transition funded by European Union (2) the research project on Scaling-up NCD Interventions in South-East Asia (SUNI-SEA) funded by European Union and (3) the research project to understand patterns and structural and intermediary determinants of inequalities in health and health care utilisation among older people in Myanmar funded by Swedish Research Council.
This will be a great learning opportunity for a fresh public health graduates looking for experience in working with public health institutes in Myanmar. The main purpose of the role will be to support our public health division in supporting research tasks and publication efforts.
In order to be able to what impact our program is having on the lives of people we need to continually document and disseminate the information through different channels. We are looking for an enthusiastic intern to help us with our research documentation and publication work.
This role also provides an opportunity to join a team that produces a variety of HelpAge publications including newsletters, briefings and reports. The position will assist the public health team in improving research documentation processes as well as providing support for analysing already existing data.
- Prepare and present findings of research activity to colleagues for review purposes;
- Help prepare progress reports on research for funding bodies as required;
- Contribute to the preparation and drafting of research grants and proposals;
- Contribute to the overall activities of the research team and department as required;
- Work under supervision on an assigned research task;
- Provide support with the development of specific concept notes and proposals for submission to donors and supporting members based on competencies of HelpAge and agreed programme designs. This will require review of current literature within and external to HelpAge, team meetings etc.
- Liaise with individuals responsible for public health research within country office or network members and establish other areas of support.
- Performs routine clerical duties as instructed, if essential to the research activities of the supervisor or project to which the research assistant is assigned.
The post holder may be asked to undertake additional tasks, commensurate with status, after consultation and the provision of necessary support and training as appropriate.
- Postgraduate in public health
- Demonstrable interest in international public health research
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills
- Data analysis and interpretation skills in both qualitative and quantitative data.
- Able to multitask and meet critical deadlines
- Methodological and reliable
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in statistical analysis software like SPSS/STATA
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Experience in taking part or working on a donor supported research project
- Research publication in reputed journals
Please submit CV and Cover Letter explaining how you meet the specifications in the description to: email@example.com
Application deadline: Sunday 6th January 2019