Regional Head of Programs
Based in Amman, Jordan
Scope for flexible working hours
Opportunity to work for a leading organisation working with and for older people globally
If you're looking to progress your career in a great working environment, please read on.
Our employees have a wide range of benefits including 21 days holiday (plus bank holidays), enhanced maternity and adoption pay, and generous employer pension contribution. We also actively support our staff with a variety of flexible working arrangements to help balance work and home life.
HelpAge International's vision is a world where older people fulfil their potential to lead active, dignified, healthy and secure lives. We are the secretariat of the HelpAge global network, bringing together more than 114 affiliates and 200 partners working with older people in over 50 countries.
Strategic Programme Leadership
- Lead program strategy development on priority themes of social protection, income, health and care, for both development and emergencies contexts of the EME region.
- Ensure alignment between EME regional and country office strategic frameworks/plans.
- Coordinate and support HelpAge staff, network members, and partners to advocate for improved services and support for older people.
- Coordinate technical support to country offices and network members for the design, delivery, and evaluation of humanitarian and development programmes.
- Represent HelpAge at key international and regional fora and build relationships for advocacy and influence on key issues affecting older people, and similarly help coordinate and support network members and partners in their advocacy initiatives.
- Ensure cross cutting themes (gender, disability and accountability) are integrated in programme development and delivery.
- Work closely with Head of Finance and Operations to ensure relevant, effective and efficient operation support systems.
Programme Quality and Standards
- Act as a focal point for promoting, maintaining and upholding recognized standards of performance and quality in our programming (eg, Do No Harm, Sphere, AdCap, Codes of Conduct, as well as HelpAge internal policies and guidelines).
- Support efforts to promote and build quality in programming by providing advice, information, training, and tools.
- Support affiliate and partner organizations in meeting the needs of older people by identifying and developing effective programmes and engaging in policy and advocacy based on the evidence they produce.
- Lead the development of a regional plan to strengthen our approach to research, evidence and learning, internally and across the network.
- Plan and deliver any investments needed in monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Represent EME as a member of the Global Leadership Team of HelpAge International and contribute to organizational efforts to improve quality programming.
- As a platform for engaging with donors and partners, define and develop regional programme approaches and articulate the added value/niche of HelpAge in humanitarian and development contexts.
- Support Country offices and units to design high quality projects, draw up donor proposals, and negotiate their funding.
- Develop and foster effective working relationships and partnerships with counterparts in global donor agencies, the UN, foundations, and the private sector.
- Ensure regional and country teams have clear resource mobilisation plans in place and efficient systems for mobilising resources.
- Work with and support network members on various resource mobilization issues.
Human Resources and Talent Management
- Identify and deploy technical expertise as and when required to country and regional programmes.
- Identify opportunities to share and disseminate learning and experience.
- Identify critical gaps and skills shortages in programmes and liaise with HR and other departments and offices of HelpAge International to address these.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to manage, motivate and inspire a diverse regional team
- Proven ability to influence others to achieve successful outcomes, including government, UN agencies and donors through successful advocacy
- Strong communication, negotiation and representational skills
- Displays a strategic perspective and capacity to think analytically
Displays technical and professional expertise
- Excellent written communication skills essential.
- Experience in successful design, funding, and delivery of humanitarian and development programs/projects
- Understanding and experience of humanitarian and development issues in the EME region
- Good knowledge of one or more social development issue related to ageing (social protection, health and care, protection, gender and disability, humanitarian relief).
- Knowledge and experience writing proposals and negotiating donor contracts
- Experience in successfully developing networks and / or innovative partnerships
- Able to travel within the region;
- Ability to solve problems
- Previous experience working on issues of older persons a strong advantage
- Willingness and interest to work with a network focussed approach, engaging with, supporting and maximising on potential of network members
- Language skills: English essential, with Russian and Arabic an advantage
- Superior numeracy and information analysis skills
- Knowledge/experience related to Eurasia, Central Asia and Middle East region;
- Experience of securing income via commercial contracting, and/or other non-traditional sources.
To apply, please send an updated CV and covering letter outlining how you meet the required criteria to EME- HRD email at: HelpAge-HRfirstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 08th of April 2018
Start date: Jun-Jul.2018
Applications who does not include a covering letter will be disregarded
HelpAge International is an equal opportunities employer.
HelpAge International encourages older people and people with disabilities from those who possess the minimum requirements of the post to apply.
HelpAge International is committed to providing our staff with continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to thrive within an inclusive and diverse environment. As part of our commitment to promoting gender diversity, we are a member of the Business in the Community gender campaign