From the HelpAge EU office in Brussels we work in several policy areas to support older people around the world:
We fight for older people and their rights to be embedded in the development cooperation policies of the European Union, the world's biggest overseas aid donor. This includes:
- Supporting the full implementation of a strong EU policy framework on social protection in EU development cooperation
- Ensuring that later life is included in the Action Plan on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in the EU’s external action
- Promoting EU support for a post-2015 global sustainable development framework that is inclusive of people of all ages and responds effectively to global population ageing
- We aim to increase the quality and effectiveness of EU humanitarian aid policy by ensuring that the specific vulnerabilities of older people are fully addressed in humanitarian responses.
- We work to influence the EU and its Member States’ contributions to the UN Open-ended Working Group on Ageing process and support the move towards a new UN convention on the rights of older people.
How we work in the EU
We achieve all this by:
- Building relationships and sharing timely evidence with the European Commission, the European Parliament and other EU institutions in Brussels through our EU office
- Influencing EU Member States’ positions and policies through coordinated action at the national level by our EU network of Affiliates
- Working as part of wider civil society coalitions and networks with a common cause
The contents of the materials available on this page are the sole responsibility of HelpAge International and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union.