We have been working with partners in China since 2003 to improve older people's financial security, healthcare and social participation.
Our work in Shaanxi and Sichuan provinces aims to tackle the poverty, health and care issues that older people often face.
We also strengthen older people's associations in rural Shaanxi and urban Sichuan to reduce older people's isolation and build community networks.
Life story: Zhao, 68
Supporting older people in China
- We have provided knowledge and good practice from older people’s associations to relevant authorities so they can set up better health services in communities. This includes expanding associations on ageing and encouraging volunteering among older people.
- We have provided small loans to 380 older people in rural villages in Shaanxi through community-based organisations.
- We have worked alongside 40 older people's associations to promote healthy ageing and have established community-based home care for over 565 vulnerable and isolated older people in Shaanxi province and Sichuan province.
- In partnership with the Shaanxi Provincial Committee on Ageing, we will continue to support the agricultural livelihoods, health awareness and home care for older people and their families in poor villages in western China.
- We will continue to support local authorities in Shaanxi by sharing experience and providing technical support to expand older people's associations in rural areas of Shaanxi.
- We will grow our network of partners who work on ageing through the Shaanxi Yihe Development Centre on Ageing,=.
The China National Committee on Ageing (CNCA)
Shaanxi Yihe Development Centre on Ageing, Shaanxi Provincial Committee on Ageing, Sichuan University
Kadoorie Charitable Foundation, Metlife