In partnership with local organisations and older people themselves, we work to overcome challenges such as:
Rights: We make sure older people know their rights and how to claim them.
Benefits: We work with governments to ensure older people get basic healthcare, education and income.
Incomes: Our Sponsor A Grandparent (SAG) programme provides additional financial help.
HIV and AIDS: We give older people information to protect themselves and their families from HIV and AIDS.
Emergencies: We ensure older people's needs are recognised when disaster strikes - and that their contribution to recovery efforts is fully supported.
Where we work in the Caribbean
View Caribbean in a larger map
Supporting older people in the Caribbean
- In Jamaica, we organised community health and information fairs giving better access to health care and medication, benefiting more than 3,000 people.
- We reached thousands of older people in Belize through our day centres by providing games, exercise, meals-on-wheels, food parcels, eye care and home visits.
- In Haiti, we have distributed food and wellbeing kits to thousands of older people made homeless by the earthquake and living in camps in Petionville and Leogane.
- We will go on supporting older people affected by the Haiti earthquake.
- We will train older people to share life-saving information with others as HIV and AIDS community councillors.
- We will lobby governments to bring in pensions for all older people.
- We will help multi-generational households affected by migration by giving them better access to benefits.