Vietnam: staff donate their wages to flood victims
In a time of hardship throughout South East Asia, HelpAge's partner, the Vietnamese Women's Union (VWU) have shown their incredible solidarity to all those affected by the devastating floods in Vietnam.
The VWU staff, who total 28,000 across the country, have generously given up an entire day's wages each for the emergency relief effort.
HelpAge staff have reported back from Vietnam about the fantastic and tireless work the VWU have been doing - the list is endless!
- joined the local authorities' rescue team
- helped evacuate people from dangerous areas
- joined local authorities to visit sites and provide relief
- identified and supported older people in need of housing, and given cash grants of approximately US$50 for repairs
- raised emergency funds from VWU staff donations of one day's pay from each staff member
- distributed aid including food, clothes, medicine and water-purifying pills.
This list is extensive, but more still needs to be done to support local organisations' emergency repsonses.